Military Mahadev Temple is one of the key attractions in the Belagavi/Belgaum, located in the cantonment area, close to the railway station. This Mahadeva Temple has a garden all around it. The holy shrine of the temple hosts a Shivaling and a statue of Mahadeva. And there are two idols of Nandi in front of the Shivaling.
The construction of this famous temple started in 1954 and was completed in 1955 by the Lt. General of the Indian Army named Sir SM Shrinagesh. The temple has been renovated over time including reconstruction of the Dome, which looks similar to the one which was before.
Your keen gaze won’t be able to digest the persona of this temple, well this is the common thing among all the South Indian temples, their majestic looks, and fascinating stories they whisper. This is what makes these places tourist attractions.
The name Military Mahadeva Temple has a reason behind its military name, it is so because Indian Army personnel worship here for a long time, and the temple premise is maintained also by army people.
There is an animal park inside the temple premise, which contains wild animals like deer and emus. This place could be a good picnic spot, if you are with your family, gardens are beautiful with benches to sit, and there is a place for kids too where they can have fun.
You can visit the temple at any time of the day, on any day from 6 am to 8 pm, and there is a decent parking area also where you can park your vehicles.
Few Important things you should know before visiting the Temple:
- On Mondays, the crowd of devotees is huge.
- If you want to witness the grandness of the temple, then visit on Mahashivaratri.
- Photography within the temple is allowed, free of cost.
- Do not throw scraps anywhere in the temple premise.
- Since the Belagavi/Belgaum is well connected to every city of Karnataka by rail, road, and airways, you would not encounter any problem in reaching out here.
- Taxi, bus, and auto-rickshaws are available easily, so you can move around the Belgaum easily.